Special Education and Psychological Services
|Serving Students with Special Needs|
"Quality Learning through Quality Education for All Students."
Gwinnett County Public Schools’ Department of Special Education and Psychological Services is an award-winning program focused on meeting the special needs of individual students. In its quest to provide “Quality learning through quality education for all students,” the Department of Special Education provides a wide range of services, including assessment and interventions. Students ages 3-21 are eligible for special education and related services within the district. To learn more about GCPS' obligation under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), please click here.
- All students can learn more than they are currently learning.
- Collaboration with all stakeholders is essential.
- All special education students should be included in general education curriculum, instruction, and assessment to the extent possible.
- Decisions should be based on current data and replicable research information.
- The learning environments for students should be relevant, as rigorous as possible, and caring as perceived by students and parents.
- The teacher is a critical element in each student’s education. Resources should focus on improving the effectiveness of each special education teacher.
- Literacy, self-management, and partnering with parents are fundamental to achieving our Vision and Mission.
GCPS will be a system of world-class schools where students acquire the knowledge and skills to be successful as they continue their education at the postsecondary level and/or enter the workforce.
Gwinnett County Special Education Department will work collaboratively with students, families, schools, and the community to enable special education students to make valuable contributions to themselves, their families, and their communities as a result of their GCPS tenure.
MISSIONThe mission of GCPS is to pursue excellence in academic knowledge, skills, and behavior for each student, resulting in measured improvement against local, national, and world-class standards.
Special Education Program Areas
GCPS provides educational services for students who meet the eligibility criteria established by the Georgia Department of Education for the following areas of exceptionality:
If you would like to contact the Department of Special Education for more information, please call 678-301-7110.